Thursday 12 February 2009

New kids on the crypto-block #2


Our new area rep in Missouri is Lanette Baker. She has a great interest in cryptozoology and has had since she was a child, as you will see below. Lanette says that she has been to other online crypto sites but has felt that they were more of a club and that outsiders were not allowed in, nor were their opinions wanted. Well Lanette, that is not what the CFZ is about and we are very happy to have you on board!

Here is what she wrote to me:

"I think I have been enthralled by cryptozoology for as long as I can remember. I was the kid in 2nd grade who wanted to know where the dinosaurs were in the bible (that did not go over well in Sunday School class), loved stories about dragons and big foot, and I even remember talking to my mother about Nessie, and her always saying she hoped they never found actual proof of him because then "something" would happen to him.

I am a single mother, a bit unconventional a times, but very open with my boys. I encourage them to believe in themselves and the fact that there is more than meets the eye. They love to tease me about UFO's, my books on cryptozoology and the conspiracy theory things I read up on, but of course their favorite thing to tease me about is classes I take from time to time on ghost hunting.

I have worked in the animal rescue field for years and have been the director of a small Humane Society in Sikeston, MO for the past 4 years. I have friends who work for the conservation department and the USDA and we often get calls on people seeing the "black panthers", wolves (yes they are in our area), and of course the strange looking beasts that no one has ever seen before from time to time. The standing joke with all who know me is that if any of those are ever caught they will end up at my house in foster care. I often am taking care of baby coons, squirrels, skunks, and even a possum.

Besides my 2 legged kids I have an evil cat, my spoiled rotten little dog and a fennec fox who can be a bit devious at times.I am not sure about the masculine oriented worlds, I am the grand daughter of a hog farmer.....heh grew up playing in the hills, climbing shale cliffs and helping him and the rest of my family in the country doing things. Plus I was never raised to be girly I guess, I am going to get to learn to shingle a roof pretty soon and always helped my dad since he never had a son. (though I am not allowed to touch a chain saw, something about me being accident prone....... go figure)

There are not any folks around here who have an interest in cryptozoology at all, though I do have some friends who have an interest in the paranormal. "


Once again, welcome Lanette.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have an interesting life story,
I'm glad to have the opportunity to know it, best of wishes.